August 26, 2013

Reisa Stone: The Ongoing Saga of the Lake

The Ongoing Saga 

Trying to swim in the lake

 

BC summers are short, and you have to make the most of them. Two weeks of rain now. Ah, heck with it. During a momentary sunny break, I left for the beach.

A sudden downpour, just as I got in the water. Did you know that when it's pelting rain, the drops bounce off the surface and fly in your eyes?

I persisted for an hour. A little girl, fully clothed and fishing off the dock, yelled, "Is it warm?" I yelled back, "NO!" She laughed hysterically.

The rain lightened, but everyone else had fled the area. Suddenly, I was completely alone, a crazy lady swimming in a cold rainy lake. Even the triathlete-looking guy only lasted three minutes. Good thing I have a decent layer of fat.

The birds came out. I swam alongside a flock of Canadian geese, then a Mallard couple. A Kingfisher noisily flew from tree to tree, enjoying the crazy lady enjoying his territory. 

 
He followed me, all along the shoreline. I swam east. He flew east. I turned around and swam west. He flew west. He told me to, "Keep it up!" and cackle-laughed. Two seagulls (we're 70 miles from the ocean), flew over me, calling.

Not what I expected, and magical.


Raisa Stone
 
PS I looked up the symbolism of the Kingfisher on several sources, and here is my favorite: 
http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/kingfisher.htm 

Mythologically, they're beloved of sea nymphs. I suppose I was of mythic proportions today ;-D

To receive the complimentary Animal Soul Newsletter, with informative articles about animal care, communication and training, visit my website.


Copyright 2013 Raisa Stone. All rights reserved. If you wish to reprint material from this blog, contact Raisa Stone. Must be reprinted in entirety with all links and credit intact.



No comments:

Post a Comment